A leak of toxic fumes forced the evacuation of an engineering studies building at the University of California San Diego. It sent three people to a hospital. An employee of a private contractor was in a laboratory in the building off Voigt and Engineers lanes servicing the ventilation system, when he accidentally cut a duct that carries a caustic gas.

Someone found the man lying unconscious in the lab and made an emergency call. Emergency crews evacuated the building. Luckily it's Spring Break so the campus is almost empty. Another man and a woman complained of light- headedness. The worker who passed out due to the leak was conscious again at the trauma center. Crews used the ventilation system in the building to clear the air and were going through the structure room by room to get comprehensive air-quality readings. It was not immediately clear what type of fumes escaped into the building, though they are a type used in the laboratory for engineering studies.