During a flight from Beijing, China, to Melbourne, Australia, a passenger was sleeping when suddenly her face began to feel hot.

About two hours into the flight, the woman's headphones exploded, burning her face and singeing her hair.

"As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face. I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck," the unidentified woman said in a statement. "I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire."

Images show the woman's cheek and lips covered in soot and charred pieces of hair along the top of her head.

The press release says flight attendants were already pouring water on the headphones before the woman could begin stamping the fire out.

The brand of headphones wasn't released, but officials say the lithium ion batteries could be to blame.