Tom Petty Died Of Accidental Drug Overdose

Tom Petty died of an accidental overdose. 

The rocker's autopsy results show that he was taking several pain medications and the combination of them led to his death.

In early October, Petty was taken to a hospital in full cardiac arrest after being found unconscious and not breathing at his California home. He passed away hours later after his family took him off life support.  

Previously, the singer's death certificate had "deferred" as the cause of death. Now, the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner concluded that Tom had taken Fentanyl, oxycodone and Xanax as well as a sleep aid called Restoril and Celexa, which treats depression. The "mixed drug toxicity" caused a "multisystem organ failure."

According to TMZ, Tom was prescribed the medicine to treat emphysema, knee issues and a fractured hip. In fact, the day he died, he'd learned that the hip fracture was actually a full-on break, which might have caused so much pain that he took more drugs than he was prescribed.

Tom was also suffering from coronary artery disease, which had plagued him during his final tour. 

Petty was 66 years old. 

His wife, Dana, and daughter, Adria, put a statement on their dad's Facebook page. In it, they wrote:

"Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip. 

Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.

On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.

We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident."

The went on to say they hope his cause of death brings about conversation about the opioid crisis in the country and perhaps even saves lives. They also wrote,

"On a positive note we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40 plus year career. He was extremely proud of that achievement in the days before he passed. 

We continue to mourn with you and marvel at Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' incredible positive impact on music and the world. And we thank you all for your love and support over the last months."

Photo Credit: Getty