Coastal expert Stephen P. Leatherman, a professor at Florida International University, aka "Dr. Beach," released his annual Top 10 Beach List for the U.S. and San Diego's Coronado Beach is the only west coast beach to make the list.
While it is a little suspicious that a Florida resident chose a Florida beach for the top position, Dr. Beach uses 50 different factors when making his list, including water and sand quality, plus safety.
- Grayton Beach State Park, Florida panhandle - the doctor says "This beach boasts of its sugar-white sand and emerald green water where development has been restrained so big that sand dunes still dominate the landscape. At the same time, all the amenities of great restaurants and accommodations are close by in the old town of Grayton Beach or Seaside. Many people choose to camp in this wonderful state park that also features tidal lakes and freshwater ponds."
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
- Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, California - the doctor says "Coronado Beach is the toast of Southern California; it is a veritable oasis by the sea that is hundreds of yards wide. With its subtropical vegetation, unique Mediterranean climate, and fine sparkling sand, beach-goers flock to this beach for great ship-watching and the summer’s warm and mild surf. The local landmark, Hotel del Coronado, was built over a hundred years ago; kings, sheiks, actors, and actresses have stayed at this iconic hotel."
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina