A dashcam caught the incident on video, officials said on Monday, June 7.
One officer who happened to be a licensed paramedic picked up the child who was choking on a cherry and slapped his back until the cherry dislodged from his airway.
The officer then stayed with the family to monitor the child and help them stay calm until the ambulance arrived.
The baby was taken to a hospital for evaluation and is expected to be okay, said officials.
“CHP officers come from many different backgrounds, different walks of life and have unique skillsets,” the agency said on Instagram. “CHP officers receive annual Emergency Medical Response training to ensure they’re prepared to assist with medical emergencies in the field.”
CHP also warned that cherries are a choking hazard for children this young.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the following are choking hazards for children between 6 to 12 months old: uncut grapes, berries, cherries, cherry tomatoes and melon balls, raisins, whole pieces of canned fruit, cooked or raw whole corn kernels, whole or chopped nuts and other foods.