Police Respond to Several Violent Incidents During Weekend

San Diego police responded to several violent incidents during the weekend.

On Sunday, a 29-year-old man was hospitalized after he was shot by an officer outside the San Diego Harbor Police Headquarters. SDPD says the incident happened around 1:30 p.m. when the suspect used the call box to ask for assistance and then got back in his car. When a Harbor Police officer came out, the man who used the call box was sitting inside a gray Honda Civic. According to SDPD officials, the man "produced a handgun and pointed it at the officer." The Harbor Police officer notified others that the man was in possession of a gun.

As other officers responded, the man continued to point the gun at them, SDPD officials said. the Harbor Police officer who initially responded "fired his service weapon multiple times" at the man. SDPD officials said, "A sergeant and a lieutenant who responded to assist also fired their service weapons. At that point, the male dropped the firearm and was taken into custody without further incident." He was given immediate first aid and was taken to a hospital where he was listed in critical condition.

Police Officers Injured in Gaslamp Quarter

A San Diego Police sergeant was hospitalized following an assault in the Gaslamp District neighborhood early Sunday morning. According to Lt. Adam Sharki with the San Diego Police Department, the incident happened around 2 a.m. Officers received a call about a fight in progress near the intersection of Fifth Avenue and F Street. When authorities arrived at the scene, SDPD said a crowd surrounded them and at least two officers were assaulted and injured. A police sergeant was seriously injured and taken to a local hospital. He is still receiving medical care. Multiple arrests were made, including the person accused of attacking the sergeant.

Police Rescue Woman and Father After Home Invasion

People in a Tierrasanta neighborhood are in disbelief after a woman was held hostage at gunpoint early Saturday morning. "We heard sirens coming down the hill," Mike McMahon said. "And then we heard pow, pow, pow, pow, pow maybe five shots.

San Diego Police said they received a call at approximately 12:30 a.m. about someone trying to break into a home in the 4000 block of Rueda Drive. The suspect was unsuccessful and drove away in a stolen About a half hour later, while officers were searching the area for the suspect, dispatch received a report about a bald man between 20 and 30-years-old had tried to force his way into a home in the 5300 block of La Cuenta Drive. The suspect fled before officers could arrive at the area. At approximately 2:00 a.m., police received another report of a suspect who had broken into a home in the 10900 block of Viacha near Tierrasanta Boulevard. The suspect entered the home where a 53-year-old woman and her elderly father were inside at the time.

While the officers were trying to negotiate with the suspect, he shot at least one round inside of the room. A short time later another officer had climbed onto a neighbor’s roof and fired multiple rounds at the suspect through the window. No injuries were reported.

(Photo 10News)

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content