WHAT: Susan G. Komen San Diego (Komen San Diego) in partnership with Kaiser Permanente and Community Health Imaging Centers (CHIC) will hold a FREE whole health community outreach event on Wednesday, June 7 from 12 noon to 6 p.m., and will occur the first Wednesday of every month. This is the first time Komen San Diego is partnering with Kaiser Permanente, Project New Village, San Diego Black Nurses Association and San Ysidro Health Center to bring this much-needed event to the public.
The event will provide free blood pressure and blood sugar checks for both Kaiser Permanente members and non-members as well as free mammogram screenings using state-of-the-art 3D mammography. Additional health resources will be offered. Attendees will also have the opportunity to browse a Farmers Market courtesy of Project New Village from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. where they can purchase fresh produce from local farmers, prepared food, crafts, and more.
Along with CHIC, Komen San Diego will provide qualified women free breast exams and mammograms. In San Diego, six women a day are told the words “you have breast cancer” and unfortunately one woman a day passes away from this disease. Komen San Diego is the County’s largest funder of free breast cancer services and support, and is the only organization providing qualified women the free services they need for every step of the breast cancer journey.
To qualify for a mammogram, you must be uninsured, underinsured or low-income. Additionally women who are over 40 years of age and had their last mammogram at least one full year ago (365 days ago or longer), or those who are under 40 years of age and are experiencing symptoms also qualify.
To pre-register and to inquire about qualifying, please call 619-269-1299 or email Wendy Shurelds at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All partners for the event include:
- Komen San Diego Circle of Promise - Free Screening Mammogram and Breast Health Education
- Kaiser Permanente African American Professional Association (KPAAPA) - Health Education
- Community Health Imaging Centers - Mobile Mammography (Digital 3-D Tomosynthesis Mammography)
- Project New Village - Farmers Market, Food Vendors
- San Diego Black Nurses Association (SDBNA) with Concord Nursing Students - Blood Pressure Checks and Blood Sugar Screening
- San Ysidro Health Center - HIV Screening Van
- Family Health Center Oak Park - Alternating Vision Screening/ or Dental Care/ Cleaning
- American Heart Association - CPR Training
- Neighborhood House Association - Informational Booth and Services
- Mental Health America - Mental Health Screening
- Health & Human Services Agency (HHSA) - CalFresh & Medi-Cal Application Assistance, Employment Assistance, Feeding San Diego
- Neighborhood Housing - Black Infants Health, HIV Case Management, Project In-Reach/SMI, Geriatric Specialty, Project Enable Clinic, Friendship Clubhouse, Senior Nutrition
WHERE: Big Lots Parking Lot, 1655 Euclid Avenue, San Diego, Calif. 92105
WHEN: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 from 12 noon to 6 p.m.
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT:
- In San Diego, six women a day are diagnosed with breast cancer and unfortunately one woman a day passes away from this disease. However we know if discovered early enough, the most common type of breast cancer has a nearly 99% survival rate. And that’s what our work at Susan G. Komen San Diego is all about.
- Komen San Diego continues to be the County’s largest funder of free breast cancer services and support and is the only organization providing qualified women the free services they need for every step of the breast cancer journey.
- These services include free diagnostic mammograms, life-saving screenings, temporary financial aid for living expenses, transportation, meal deliveries, education and more.
- Also, next to the U.S. government, Susan G. Komen is the largest funder of breast cancer research in the world. And much of that investment has been awarded right here in San Diego.