Rice--It's Not Necessarily Great For Leftovers

If you like rice, there are a couple of food guidelines to follow.

Health officials in the U.K say eating reheated rice can lead to food poisoning if you're not careful after first cooking it.

After cooking rice, you should not let it sit out for more than an hour. Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacteria that can cause food poisoning.

That bacteria can survive even after the rice is cooked, and the longer rice is left out at room temperature, the greater the chances the bacteria will multiply and potentially product toxins.

If they form and you eat the rice later on, you might wind up with an uncomfortable bout of vomiting or diarrhea.

The rice should be eaten by the next day, and when you do reheat it, make sure it's steaming all the way through. Additionally, you shouldn't reheat rice more than once.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Health Clipboard

Health Clipboard

Health news and discoveries in San Diego. Marilyn Hyder hosts weekdays on KOGO AM! Read more

title

Content Goes Here