A La Crosse, Wisconsin freshman is being hailed a hero after he sprung into action and saved his choking classmate.
Ian Brown was eating lunch with his friends Wednesday at Central High School when his friend started coughing and motioning that he was choking.
Central school nurse Kim Mahlum told police that several of the teens at the table thought the student was joking.
When Brown noticed that the victim's face and neck began changing color, he realized the student was in trouble.
Brown gave the student the Heimlich maneuver and was able to dislodge the food from the victim's throat. He then brought the student to the nurse to be looked at and make sure his airway was clear.
Mahlum told police that Brown learned the Heimlich maneuver during the training her received in a youth police training program.