Many seniors lack dental coverage and don't realize oral health is connected to the health of the entire body.There is an opportunity for an information session.
June is Oral Health Month --
- Approximately 70 percent of seniors lack dental coverage.
- The reasons for not seeing a dentist vary, and range from high cost, lack of transportation, not feeling pain or even believing that it is no longer necessary to visit the dentist as we age.
- BUT IF YOU DO NOT ADDRESS DENTAL HEALTH, it can lead to major problems elsewhere in the body.
- Nearly 51,540 people in the U.S. will get oral cancer, and just over 10,000 people will die of these cancers. Early detection can save lives -- especially when it is combined with a regular dental check-up.
Research shows poor oral healthcare can contribute to various general health issues:
- including blood sugar levels in persons with diabetes,
- seriousness of heart disease,
- risk of stroke,
- risk of aspiration pneumonia, and
- risk of infections in other parts of the body, which can be especially devastating to older adults.
The dental center will host a free "Tooth Wisdom" workshop on Tuesday, June 19 from 8:30 am to 9:30 am at the Gary and Mary West Senior Dental Center at 1525 Fourth Ave Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92101.
They would like you to RSVP at email@example.com.
Photo Credit: Getty Images