Skyline Fire Blamed On The Birds

posted by Sara Bartlett - 

A house fire in the Skyline area is being blamed on bird poop. Around 2:10p.m. Monday, fire broke out in a birdcage in the backyard of a home along Noeline Lane. It's a bizarre phenomenon... "The bird excrement heats up and with just the right amount of wind and moisture it starts a fire," says San Diego Fire Rescue spokeswoman Mónica Muñoz.  

A neighbor who spotted the flames helped one person, a cat and a dog get out of the home, called 911 and began dumping water on the flames, Munoz said. Firefighters were able to knock down the flames in about 10 minutes and no injuries were reported. Investigators were able to pinpoint the birdcage as the source of the fire. 

Sadly, at least eight birds died in the fire. Three palm trees and the exterior of the home were burned, Munoz says. Damage is estimated at $100,000. 


Photo Credit: Getty Images 

title

Content Goes Here