KAABOO returns to Del Mar for the 4th year, and for the first time, it's sold out. Billed as San Diego's largest music, comedy, culinary and arts festival, the three day event kicks off Friday afternoon at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. It features concerts by Earth, Wind and Fire, Robert Plant, Katy Perry, Foo Fighters, Blondie and many more.
There have been renewed concerns for safety at this year's event following a shooting earlier this month outside of the fairground's ticket box before an Ice Cube concert. A 22-year-old man opened fire, shooting into the air in a crowd of people. A Sheriff's deputy shot the man, sending him to the hospital.
Organizers of KAABOO say safety is the top priority, and they are taking extra steps to make sure everyone feels safe. Everyone entering the concert will have their bags checked, and there will be metal detectors, something that was not in place during the Ice Cube concert.
In addition, security guards, law enforcement and police dogs will be patrolling both inside and outside of the festival. There's also a number concertgoers can text if they have an issue or feel unsafe.
Here is KAABOO's full safety policy:
SEXUAL ASSAULT PREVENTION
KAABOO takes a stand against harassment and discrimination. We are proud to be Partners in Prevention with The Blue Bench, a Denver-based organization that aims to prevent sexual assault through prevention and care. We encourage all of our guests to join us in ensuring the safety of the whole KAABOO community.
Here is how you can join us:
- Look out for one another
- Offer to help someone who looks like they are in trouble
- Ask security or a staff member for assistance if you need help
- If you or another guest need assistance, text "KAABOO" to 313131 with your name/location to alert security
2018 SAFETY UPDATE
As we prepare for our event in the coming weeks, our guests should feel comfort knowing that at KAABOO events, their safety and security is priority number one. During the course of the year, our team undergoes significant preparation to keep our guests safe, with security both inside and around the perimeter of our event, particularly as more challenges emerge. KAABOO has always, and will continue to use metal detector screening and bag checks, along with a thorough safety and security plan created in collaboration with local law enforcement. We are using the latest technology, a diverse security detail, and close partnerships with law enforcement to ensure this year’s KAABOO Del Mar is the safest and best yet.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
At KAABOO we are completely in the business of having a good time, and we can’t do that without keeping you safe. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment for guests to enjoy all KAABOO has to offer in a responsible manner.
In doing that, we work in conjunction with local law enforcement and private security companies to deploy certain security measures to ensure the safety of all guests, employees, and artists attending KAABOO. There will be adequate security, medical, and law enforcement personnel on duty throughout KAABOO to service the safety needs of our guests. If you have a safety, medical or security question, please locate the nearest security professional in order to assist you with your question.
See something, Say something –If you see anything that doesn’t feel or seem right, text KAABOO to 313131 with your concern and we’ll be sure to follow up immediately.
In the event of a serious emergency at KAABOO, all event staff, event security, police and emergency response agencies are ready and available to assist guests, including guests with disabilities. Pertinent information regarding the emergency situation and evacuation procedures will be provided over the audio systems at all stages as well as displayed on the video boards throughout KAABOO.
- All guests will be subject to a search of their person and possessions prior to entering the stadium. All bags will be subject to inspection by a security representative. Guests should be prepared to open their bags for inspection and may be asked by a security representative to shift and possibly remove the contents.
- For the safety of everyone at KAABOO, all persons entering the fairgrounds will walk through a metal detector or be screened with a hand- held metal detector to search for prohibited items.
- As a precautionary measure, canine detection teams will be deployed onsite at KAABOO.
- Guests who appear to be impaired and unmanageable will not be permitted into KAABOO. Violators of the rules of any State or City laws will be refused admission, asked to leave or ejected from the property. KAABOO reserves the right to refuse entry to anyone who may compromise the safety of other guests.
Photo Credit: Sara Bartlett/KOGO