A San Diego County family is planning to file a wrongful death lawsuit against S-D-G and E and its parent company, Sempra Energy, over an electrocution.
August 1st, 59 year old Moises Hernandez Sr., of Cardiff-by-the-Sea, was trimming a pine tree at the Coastal Fellowship Church in Solana Beach, when his metal tool came into contact with an electric wire in the tree, and he was electrocuted.
Investigator Ken Hawkins with the law offices of Carl D. Barnes out of Los Angeles tells KOGO News the twelve thousand volt power lines were not insulated enough, and it took S-D-G-E emergency crews three hours to get to the scene to turn off the power before paramedics could close to Hernandez.
He also tells KOGO News in his firm's opinion, while S-D-G and E is supposed to regularly prune trees that have contact with power lines, in his firm's opinion, it appears the tree had not been cut for at least two years.
The family is seeking monetary damages for pain and suffering and negligence and the claim will likely be in the millions of dollars.
An S-D-G and E spokesperson issued a statement to KOGO saying "This incident remains part of an active investigation by local agencies and SDG&E. At this time, we are unable to comment.”
Photo Credit: Getty Images