It's beautiful, it's big, it offers an amazing variety of attractions, and it's FREE! Located a short distance from the ocean in Del Mar, San Dieguito Park is 124 acres of amazing that is referred to as a "hidden San Diego gem."
Whether you're looking for an outdoor place to get a great workout, a fun, safe place for the kids to play and explore, or a relaxing walk and place to sit and enjoy nature, San Dieguito County Park has something for everyone. Here is a list of the park's numerous features:
- 5 miles of interconnected hiking trails that connect it's upper and lower sections
- Activity Hill is at the center of the park and it boasts ten fitness stations, two rope suspension bridges, and three ladders that lead to panoramic lookout platforms
- A scenic butterfly garden
- Two nature-themed scavenger hunt TRACK Trails for kids where prizes can be won online
- Basketball and volleyball courts
- A fitness trail
- Picnic areas with BBQs
- A wedding gazebo and pavilions
- Open lawn areas lined with mature trees
- Tranquil duck ponds
- Engle Family Baseball Field - children with special needs have the opportunity to play in an organized league at this park through the Miracle League.
- 5 playgrounds, including an ADA compliant playground where children of all ages and abilities can engage in inclusive, sensory, nature and fitness-based play.
The ADA compliant playground is a 5,600 square-foot, all-accessible playground that features six key play elements: balancing, spinning, brachiating, sliding, climbing and spinning through a variety of attractions. Specialty equipment was mixed in with standard features, ramps were added, and the floor of the entire playground was filled with a rubberized surface for easy pavement-to-playground transitions. Additionally, recycled materials were factored into apparatus, and trees were planted to provide shade, reduce sun exposure and improve park aesthetics.
San Dieguito County Park
- Address: 1628 Lomas Santa Fe Drive, Del Mar, CA 92014
- Park: (858) 755-2386
- Reservations: (858) 565-3600, (877) 565-3600
- Hours: 9:30 a.m. - sunset, daily
- Parking is $3. View the park brochure.