It's a federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May, which is May 28 in 2018, where we all celebrate U.S. military service members who lost their lives.
Here are a few events happening around San Diego this Memorial Day weekend.
Mt. Soledad National Veterans Memorial
Ceremony at 2 p.m. on Monday, May 28 at 6905 La Jolla Scenic Drive S., La Jolla CA 92037
Mt. Soledad Veterans Memorial in La Jolla will honor Ulysses S. Grant, the 18th President and the Commanding General of the Union Army in the Civil War. Brigadier General Jeffery Broadwater, Commanding General, National Training Center/Fort Irwin will be the keynote speaker.
- Navy Region Southwest Band
- Marine Recruit Depot (MCRD) Color Guard
- MCRD Rifle Team conducting a 21 Gun Salute
- Missing Man Formation Fly Over conducted by aircraft of the San Diego Performance Formation Team
Miramar National Cemetery
Ceremony at 1 p.m. on Sunday, May 27 at 5795 Nobel Dr. San Diego, CA 92122
A ceremony will be held at the Flag Assembly Area.
- Deputy Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Thomas G. Bowman
- Capt. Joseph R. Buzzella, Jr, Coast Guard Sector Commander and Captain of the Port of San Diego
The 313-acre Miramar National Cemetery will be open on Memorial Day and is located on Nobel Drive at the northwest corner of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.
Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery
Ceremony at 10 a.m. on Monday, May 28 at Cabrillo Memorial Drive, San Diego CA 92106
Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery will be open for Memorial Day and will host a special remembrance ceremony at 10 a.m. at the Rostrum.
There will be free shuttle service from the Veterans Museum and Memorial Center in Balboa Park at 2115 Park Boulevard. Boarding begins at 8 a.m. Shuttles depart at 8:30 a.m.
USS Midway Museum
910 N Harbor Drive, San Diego 92101
Wreath Remembrance Ceremony 9 a.m. on Friday, May 26
A ceremony will include a flyover and the tossing of biodegradable wreaths over the ship along with a live performance of Taps. RADM Yancy Lindsey Commanding Officer, Navy Region Southwest will be the featured speaker.
The event is free to the public. Admission to the museum will be included for attendees arriving before 9:30 am.
Monday, May 28
- 11 a.m. US Coast Guard Auxiliary Band Arizona Performance (included with museum admission)
- 12:30 p.m. Bonita Vista Music Machine Choir performs (included with museum admission)
- 3 p.m. National Moment of Remembrance including a performance of Echo Taps.
- San Diego Veterans For Peace will set up “Hometown Arlington West Memorial" on the front lawn of the USS Midway Museum, to honor 300+ troops from Southern California who died in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
La Vista Memorial Park
3191 Orange Street, National City - 1 p.m Monday, May 28th
Free event featuring:
- presentation of the Navy’s symbolic “Two-Bell Ceremony”
- Missing Man Memorial Fly-By provided by a group of pilots.
- Admiral Mark E. Bipes, Deputy Commander, Navy Medicine West, Deputy Director, Medical Service Corps
- Command Master Chief Patrick Paul Carrillo Mangarn
Photo: American flags adorn each grave in Arlington National Cemetary in honor of Memorial Day May 27, 2002 in Arlington, VA. Thousands of tourists, veterans, armed services personnel, and relatives visited the cemetery in recognition of Memorial Day. (Photo by Stefan Zaklin/ Getty Images)