California health officials announced that outdoor theme parks and outdoor stadiums will be allowed to reopen with limited capacity on April 1 if the region is in the state's yellow, orange, or red tier. The reopening policy was revealed on Friday by Dr. Mark Ghaly, California Health and Human Services Secretary.
Capacity will vary by venue type.
Outdoor sports and live entertainment facility capacity by tier will be:
- PURPLE tier, capacity will be limited to 100 people or fewer and attendance will be limited to regional visitors. Advanced reservations will be required, and no concession or concourse sales will be allowed.
- RED tier, capacity will be limited to 20%. Concession sales will be primarily in-set (no concourse sales).
- ORANGE tier, capacity will be limited to 33%
- YELLOW tier, capacity will increase to 67%.
Amusement park guests will be limited to in-state visitors at the following capacity levels:
- RED tier, capacity will be limited to 15%.
- ORANGE tier, 25% capacity maximum.
- YELLOW tier, 35% capacity maximum.
San Diego Padres CEO Erik Greupnew, had this response to the announcement:
“We are excited to hear today’s announcement, which creates a path to welcome our loyal and passionate fans back home to Petco Park for the 2021 season, and we thank Governor Newsom and his staff for their collaborative efforts. Our number one priority is providing our fans with a safe and fun experience when they return to the ballpark. We have been diligently preparing to ensure that Petco Park is one of the safest places to be in San Diego this season. We expect that Padres fans will be able to support our team in-person beginning on Opening Day and our players are eager to have them back at Petco Park. We will communicate with our season ticket members soon regarding the details of their return to Petco Park. San Diego and our country have been through a very difficult period and we are proud that once again the great game of baseball can serve as a unifying and healing force in our community.”
Photos: Getty Images